11.6.11

Crappy Dracula :: Fantastic Dracula LP layout

I met Justin during the Spring of 2009. He played roadie for my then band, Plexi 3. We were out for only about a week and I remember that time as being one of the best tours ever. Not for the shows or anything, but just having a total blast with the coolest people. Justin was in the band Crappy Dracula. To be honest, I hadn't really been exposed to them at the time. I knew they were playing around Milwaukee, but I just totally blanked on seeing them. Of course this changed once we got to know each other better.
 When they were getting around to releasing their first record, "Almost", I was brought in to help them layout the packaging. There wasn't really so much design work that could have been implemented because they already had the direction laid out. I was merely helping them put their ideas into motion. I really liked working on it because it really gave me a chance to to go against the grain of good design. I had even pushed to use as much 'comic sans' as possible. Seriously, what kind of sense does that make?


The second record was a little more of the same. They already had all the images and sketches ready to go and my job was put the puzzle pieces together. The cover was to highlight the picture, so I crafted a quick and easy sketch-like headline. The style was a little more "hand rendered" this go around. The typography for the set list and the inner sleeve used big bold type. I felt the scratchy sketch-like band logo and record title complemented the bold type quite nicely. The idea was to make a complete mess of design and I I feel I achieved it. Break the rules, man.
I do wish I could have had a little more design control over manipulating the overall package and incorporate a little more finesse, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. My favorite part of this record is the coupon label. Notice the record spine too. It's ummmm.... a spine. Get it?
Listen to the band and it will make all the sense in the world. 
www.crappydracula.com