11.10.10

BEER PAINTINGS (MADE WITH REAL BEER)


Here are a series of watercolor paintings I did over the weekend after buying a bunch of cheap plastic frames from the East Bay Creative Re-Use. My room needed a little sprucing up, and I was feeling rather creative so I decided to put the wheels in motion in creating these compositions. I had been busy lately with trying to understand the fine art side of me and have been developing a series of watercolor portraits and illustrations. This is merely an extension of my direct thinking as an artist. It's doesn't need to make total sense. Just extrude the good vibes onto paper and see what comes out of it. 

As a fun little experiment, I used actual real beer as the liquid component for the paint. It didn't have any real effect on the color or consistency, but it was a unique way in exploring the various possibilities in design creation. And at any rate, I got to drink what I didn't use. Natural ice was used because of of it's subtle delicate overtones. I lied. It was a $1.75 for a 40. Thanks to the Telegraph Quality Market for supplying the goods. 

I did a total of six portraits. They represent beer from a lower class of drinking. You know, the budget minded folks who want nothing more than a quick tasty brew without all the frills that come with a higher brand of beer. Besides, I'm from a working class background. It's my little way of paying tribute to forefathers who came before. 








Here are a couple examples of "in process" work. After looking up the graphics of these beer cans on the internet, I would recreate the images by hand on paper with pencil. After getting a solid rough draft completed, I would refine it with a fine tip black ink pen. 
For budget sake, I simply used a set of 8 color Crayola watercolor paints. 

Total cost of this project:
Crayola watercolor set: $3.95
100 Sheet Sketch Paper Pad: $1.99
Natural Ice Beer: $1.75
6 Used Plastic Frames: $5.00
TOTAL: $12.69