16.12.15

A NEW DIMENSION IN TERROR TRIPTYCH


You know… 

This is really silly but I gotta get this off my chest. I made my first triptych as an homage to my second favorite film, Belle De Jour. Now I’m making my second triptych based on my number one favorite film ever, Friday the 13th Part Three. See the parallel? It’s because I’m an artist and stuff. I think about these things and how they are relevant to our way of modern life. Then I reflect that onto the world. Pretty cool, huh? Don’t you feel really enlightened? It feels good. 

"Think of a far off realm twisted by the absurdly morbid. Its consumption of entertainment are these tiny bursts of blood drenched realities."

Anyway, I look at this piece as a surreal alternate reality to where this film might have existed. Simple. Clean. Organized. Efficient. Yet slightly off kilter. What a world. I wouldn’t mind taking a stroll through that someday. The story of Friday the 13th Part Three is a simple one. Kids go into the woods for a weekend to party. One by one they are picked off by an axe wielding masked maniac. There isn’t much rhyme or reason as to why this film exists and that’s honestly the best part of it for me. It’s ridiculous. I love it for its atmospheric nostalgic quality and low budget aesthetics. Also, let's not forget that this film was at the forefront of the early 80's short-lived 3D craze. Truly, this is a pioneering achievement in film making. Dig?




In the background there is this exercise in commerce that is going full steam. That’s another angle that I’m really attracted to. They make a cheap film, shit it out into the public and watch the riches rain down. Oh and by the way, they'll try and satisfy some carnal urges while they're at it. There’s a lot of angry hormone-fueled teenagers out there ready to pony up their hard earned cash just for some lo-fi violence. Or "lo-filence" as I like to call it. That in itself is a pretty fascinating theme to explore. And all the while, this is all being conceived through a cocaine riddled Los Angeles movie industry, circa 1981. A perfect environment just ripe for shameless exploitation. 

I hope in a million years when cyborg aliens are studying us, this film cuts through. This film could be the new future bible.