8.6.15

AN ANTI-HERO FOR ONLINE PUBLISHING?

I don't want this blog to be used as a tool for anyone to take anything away from it. Meaning, I don't necessarily want this to be seen as a content generator that offers advice, stories, or anything instructional that people can use in their daily lives. I feel that as a surrealist, my intents are purely driven by absolute absurdity. In that regard, I really just want to offer empty calories entertainment with little to no return on investment. Does that make sense?

Look, I know the whole purpose of a "blog" or an online platform like this is to expound insights, ideas, and the kind of stuff that information junkies thrive on. This ain't that kind of playground. Essentially, the whole idea is to be the anti-hero of online publishing. Besides, who really gives a fuck? We're all just gonna be dust one day.

I remember once during college. I was having a meeting with one of my professors and I was showing her this zine that I had made. I don't think she really knew what a zine was, so I had to sit there and explain the whole scene to her. As I was describing her the process that I go through each and every time I make one of these, she gave me this blank look. It was like I was speaking backwards or something. When she asked how much money I made off these things, I honestly told her that I usually LOSE money. Not much. Twenty or forty bucks here and there. Then she proceeded to give me the stink eye and passive aggressively tell me that 'what was the point?'

This really pissed me off. I left that meeting feeling like a complete idiot. Like, my genuine interest in taking graphic design and putting it in a place that isn't traditional advertising was a waste of time and energy. I don't think she really understood that I like doing it just for the sake of doing it. That it was so impossible for her to conceive that the joy I get out of graphic design isn't attached with some bottom line or a quarterly payoff. Some people are just like that. We live in THAT kind of society. Obviously, graphic design is intended to sell or persuade or convince....... That's not the point. I crank out websites, banner ads, email creatives, and other materials that are used as marketing on a daily basis like anyone else. It's a racket. It's my job.

But I am a surrealist. I like taking things that don't belong in one dimension and putting it in another. I like turning things on their head. If only for the pure amusement of doing it because I like doing it. And yes, I don't make any money off of it. What of it?